Royal Society of Portrait Painters OPEN CALL 2023
DetailsSUBMIT YOUR WORK: https://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/call-for-entries/open-calls/royal-society-portrait-painters-open-call
The Society welcomes paintings, drawings and original prints - including digital/iPad prints - from artists aged 18 and over, from the UK and internationally.
The final exhibition is selected by leading portrait painters and being selected is a mark of distinction. Selected artists will have their work exhibited in a prestigious showcase at Mall Galleries in central London, at which a number of works will sell and a number of commissions will be placed. There is also the chance to win a number of prizes and awards totalling over £40,000.
"The Society’s Annual Open Exhibition is probably the largest and most significant celebration of contemporary portrait painting in Europe. The show is always selected by a jury of practising portrait painters, no critics, no journalists, no celebrities – just painters. The current annual prize fund is more than £40,000, including The William Lock Portrait Prize (£20,000) and The Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture (£10,000). If you make portraits, this is your opportunity to see your work alongside the very best." - Anthony Connolly, President
As a special feature of the show, works on the theme of 'Clothing' will be eligible for The RP Award: a prize of £2,000 for the most interesting and engaging interpretation of the theme within the parameters of portraiture.
How to Submit
All work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected works should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at mallgalleries22.oess1.uk between Monday 28 November 2022 and Friday 27 January 2023, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check mallgalleries22.oess1.uk from 12 noon on Friday 10 February 2023 to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work for final selection on Saturday 4 March, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check this page from 12 noon on Tuesday 7 March to see if your work has been selected
- If unaccepted, collect your work on Thursday 9 March, 10am to 5pm
Submissions open: Monday 28 November 2022, 12 noon
Submissions close: Friday 27 January 2023, 12 noon
Notification of pre-selection: Friday 10 February, 12 noon
Receiving Day: Saturday 4 March, 10am to 5pm
Notification of selection: Tuesday 7 March, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 9 March, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition opens: Thursday 4 May, 10am to 5pm daily
Closed on Saturday 6 May for the Royal Coronation
Late night opening, until 8pm, on Thursday 4 May and Wednesday 10 May
Exhibition closes: Saturday 13 May, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 18 May, 10am to 5pm
Conditions of Entry
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- The Society welcomes paintings, drawings and original prints - including digital/iPad prints. Sculpture and photography are not admissible.
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not been exhibited in London previously.
- If for sale, works must have a minimum sale price of £300 (framed prints: £180, unframed prints: £120 - buyers will not be charged for postage and packaging of unframed prints, so please ensure the price of unframed prints allows for this).
- The price of works for sale must include 45%+VAT commission.
- Although the exhibition is an excellent opportunity to sell work, works may be listed as not for sale – if your work is not for sale, please input the price as ‘0’ when prompted.
- A maximum of 4 works can be submitted for selection. A maximum of 3 works will be selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- Note that artists accepted for exhibition will be invited to advertise portrait commissions through our Commissions service, on which a commission will be payable.
- If your work is on the theme of 'Clothing', for The RP Award, please elaborate in the artwork description box.
The submission fee is £20 per work for standard entries and £14 per work for artists aged 35 or under. This includes free admission to the exhibition (normally £5).