William Morris Gallery - Artist in Residence 2020-21
DetailsApplications are now open for the 2020-21 Artist in Residence programme at the William Morris Gallery. The residency is an opportunity for an artist to immerse themselves in the Gallery's world-class collection for three months. Now in its seventh year, the programme is funded by Arts Council England.
The deadline for submissions is midnight on Monday 26 October 2020.
The opportunity is aimed at emerging or mid-career visual artists working in any medium or discipline. We are particularly interested in hearing from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic artists and applicants must live or work in our neighbouring East London boroughs (Hackney, Waltham Forest, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Haringey, Redbridge, Enfield). Your work and proposal do not need to address Morris directly but must be informed by his wide-ranging legacy, such as:
- Morris’s approach to art and design
- Morris’s ideas about the environment and social equality
- Underrepresented craft traditions and practices
- The reception of Morris’s work across the world
- Contemporary perspectives on traditional crafts and applied arts
The residency is designed to encourage artists to be experimental so it is not driven by creating a final piece of work or staging an exhibition but your proposal must include opportunities for the public to engage with your residency, either in person or online.
The residency provides:
- Immersion in the Gallery's world-class collection
- Access to study space
- Curatorial and learning support to explore new ideas
- Opportunities for public engagement
- Support to develop marketing and business development skills
- Promotion via the Gallery's publicity channels
- Artist's fee of £3,000 plus budget for events and/or materials
William Morris Galleryainsley.firstname.lastname@example.org