Open call for Dare Art Prize 2020-21
DetailsChallenging artists and scientists to collaborate on new approaches to the creative process, the £15,000 DARE Art Prize awarded by the University of Leeds and Opera North (UK) is open for applications.
The 2020-21 Prize will be awarded to an innovative, ambitious artist in any discipline, who is excited by the opportunity to work with leading scientific researchers at the University of Leeds, and with Opera North, one of Europe’s leading cultural organisations.
• A bursary of £10,000 paid quarterly over twelve months.
• A budget of up to £5,000 for resources to create and present new work.
• The opportunity to engage with scientific researchers and artists who share a vision and who can bring expertise and networks to support the creation of something new.
• The opportunity to hold a residency at The Tetley in September 2020, and to show and discuss works in progress with the National Science and Media Museum.
• Access to musicians, studio space and resources from Opera North may also be available.
There are no restrictions on the form of the outcome: it could be in any art form or channel – a performance, a poem, an interactive website or a song cycle for example – but the project must be achievable within twelve months ending May 2021. It is expected that around £5,000 of the Award will be invested in the creation of new work.
Individual, independent artists working in any discipline are invited to apply by submitting a CV and a 500-word proposition that summarises the area of scientific interest – from astrophysics to climate change, microbiology to nutrition; an ambition to create something new and the germ of an idea of what this might be; and a genuine wish to engage with academic researchers, expertise and resources at the University of Leeds.
Applications should be sent in the form of a single pdf or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions: 12 noon GMT on Thursday 30 January.